Each regional COM consists of twelve (12) persons including the chair.
All authority and responsibility that the Constitution of the Presbyterian Church (USA) allows to be delegated to a COM is granted by the Presbytery to its regional COM. Each regional COM is empowered to establish administrative commissions for the purposes of ordination or installation of teaching elders. Each regional COM is to report its actions taken to the next stated meeting of Presbytery.
Position Description for Commission on Ministry members:
• Be a Ruling Elder or Teaching Elder from their region.
• Attend (either in person or online) monthly meetings. Attend other meetings as needed or required.
• Act as liaison to assigned churches (typically 2-3 churches) in region and/or assume special assignments as
requested by regional COM.
• Work with congregations, sessions and pastors of assigned churches in times of transition or difficulty.
• Work with the Pastor Nominating Committee of assigned churches as advisor and resource person.
• Coordinate the Interview Team for triennial visits to sessions.
• Participate in the annual Presbytery COM retreat—the October meeting for all COMs.
• Participate in training events sponsored by regional COMs and Presbytery.
• Each member of the COM will abide by “A Code of Ethics for Commission on Ministry Members.”
Meeting Location: Currently all are meeting online via Zoom.
Meeting Dates, Times:
- COM-Central Normally the third Thursday of the month at 4pm
- COM-Northeast Normally the third Tuesday of the month at 10am
- COM-Northwest Normally the fourth Thursday of the month at 1 pm
- COM-South Normally the fourth Friday of the month at 11 am
Special Skills/Knowledge: Be knowledgeable about church polity (or know how to find it in the Book of Order); be able to work well with pastors and sessions, sometimes in tense situations. Be comfortable contacting and supporting the churches assigned.
Time Required: Monthly meeting (approximately three hours) and monthly contact with assigned churches. May require significant additional time if church is seeking pastoral leadership or is in crisis.
Expense Reimbursement: All committee-related travel expenses are reimbursed by the presbytery.
Staff: Clark Scalera, Advocate for Congregations and Clergy